Students Rack Up Summer '08 Internship Offers
CUNY Graduate School of Journalism students are again landing prime summer internships at news organizations large and small, in New York City and abroad.
Many of the School’s 47 students will intern for the same media organizations as the first class did last summer—including ABC News, BusinessWeek, NY1 News, the New York Daily News, the New York Times online video department, and WNYC Radio.
“They’re building on the legacy begun by the previous students,” said Ellen Walterscheid, the School’s Director of Career Services. “Employers were really happy with their interns last year and have asked us for more.”
New partners, too, will host a CUNY J-School intern this summer. Telegraph.co.uk, the digital newsroom of London’s Daily Telegraph, is among those that have created an internship specifically for a CUNY J-School student. Others include ESPN Publishing, The Associated Press in Chile, the Nigerian Television Authority, and Diario Libre, a daily broadsheet and Web site in the Dominican Republic.
ABC News has also created a special paid summer internship at Nightline in honor of the late producer Eddie Pinder, a graduate of the CUNY system. Three CUNY J-School students received the Edward Pinder Fellowship and will intern at Nightline this summer.
Many of these internships are paid. But for those that are not, the journalism school will pay students up to $3,000 to keep everyone on an even footing.
The summer interns will receive on-site supervision as well as faculty mentoring, and will earn three hours of credit toward their Master of Arts degree. The School will also invite guest speakers throughout the summer to talk to the interns about journalism careers.
Here are the media organizations that have offered students summer internships so far:
- ABC News Good Morning America
- ABC News Nightline: Edward Pinder Fellowship (3)
- Associated Press – Santiago, Chile
- Bay News (Brooklyn weekly)
- The Brooklyn Paper
- Brooklyn Independent Television
- BusinessWeek (2)
- Children’s PressLine
- City Hall
- CNN-New York election center
- Crain’s New York Business
- (New York) Daily News business desk
- (New York) Daily News city desk
- Diario Libre (daily in Dominican Republic)
- Dominican Republic News
- Dominican Today
- ESPN Publishing
- KQED’s Quest (San Francisco)
- The L Magazine
- The List (Edinburgh, Scotland, arts magazine)
- New Vision (daily in Uganda)
- New York Press
- New York Times online video department
- Nigerian Television Authority
- NY1 News
- NY1 Noticias
- NYC TV
- NYPost.com video department
- Out of the Blue Films
- Point Reyes Light (California)
- Queens Courier
- Reykjavik Grapevine (English-language weekly in Iceland)
- Rockland Journal News (Nyack, N.Y.)
- Scholastic Math
- Talking Points Memo
- Telegraph.co.uk (London)
- Time Out New York
- USA Today Web site, Life section
- WKBW-TV (ABC affiliate), Buffalo, N.Y.
- WNYC Radio (2)
- Working Mother
Walterscheid said she expects more Web sites, broadcast outlets, magazines, and newspapers to announce their intern choices soon. Updates will be posted at www.journalism.cuny.edu.