Holiday Toy Drives, A Queens Sculptor and the City's Anti-Obesity Campaign
We had an eventful end to a busy semester – here is some fine reading and viewing for the holidays:
- The latest issue of the Mott Haven Herald is packed with stories and photos by Carla Candia, Jeanmarie Evelly, Sergey Kadinsky, Erin McCarthy, Vishal Persaud and Chris Prentice.
- Maureen Sullivan weighed in on “The Evolution of Shadows” for The Internet Review of Books.
- Shane Dixon Kavanaugh is the managing editor of Overflow magazine – the latest issue of which features stories by Dale Eisinger and Joe Walker. (See the attached pdf).
- Erica Soto’s story and audio slideshow about an Arthur Ave. culinary instititution made the Tremont Tribune.
- Thomas Chan’s audio slideshow about the reopening of the Edison museum in West Orange was featured on Baristanet.com.
- Nadia Sussman contributed a post about a Romanian photographer to The New York Times’ Lens blog.
- Emily Feldman wrote about the city’s latest anti-obesity campaign for NBC Local Integrated Media.
- Jessica Simeone shared a byline on this New York Post story about a parking scam.
- Alana Rigal’s video piece about asthma and H1N1 made the News Service, as did Suyeon Kim’s package about a composer with an off-beat (or beat-on) approach to music. Ines Bebea and Azriel James Relph combined on a video piece about tough times for holiday toy drives, while H’Rina DeTroy offered a video story about a Bronx-based program that trains folks for green jobs.
- Daniel Tucker wrote about a Queens sculptor who found inspiration in a classic photograph. You’ll find Dan’s piece in The Queens Courier.
- Jordan Shakeshaft’s story about a young artist brightening Montague Street for the holidays made the Brooklyn Eagle.
- Some examples of the J-School alumni network at work: Kate Nocera shared by a byline on this Daily News fire follow-up story with Barry Paddock (’08). Mark Morales got co-billing with Barry on this murder story. Maria Clark worked with the very busy Barry on this fire rescue story.
Speaking of our alumni network, congratulations to the Class of ’09! And kudos to the Class of ’10 on completing the first semester.
To answer a frequently asked question: Yes, the News Service is open for business over the break. I’ll be out of the office until Jan. 4, but feel free to email anytime, and I’ll do my best to get back to you.
So have a happy and safe holiday – and keep those stories coming!
Tags: Alana Rigal, Azriel James Relph, Barry Paddock, Carla Candia, Chris Prentice, Dale Eisinger, Daniel Tucker, Emily Feldman, Erica Soto, Erin McCarthy, H'Rina DeTroy, Ines Bebea, Jeanmarie Evelly, Jessica Simeone, Joe Walker, Jordan Shakeshaft, Kate Nocera, Maria Clark, Mark Morales, Maureen Sullivan, Nadia Sussman, Sergey Kadinsky, Shane Dixon Kavanaugh, Suyeon Kim, Thomas Chan, Vishal Peraud