Videos: Alumni on the Job
Producer, WNYC New York Public Radio
Former Police Reporter, The New York Post
Currently Associate Metro Editor
Staffed with former journalists who have strong industry connections in print, broadcast and digital media, the Office of Career Services works closely with students and alumni in pursuing meaningful jobs and internships in New York City and the surrounding areas, throughout the United States and internationally.
Among other things, students receive one-on-one consultations and guidance throughout the semester – and beyond. Students and alumni are invited to attend career workshops hosted at the J-School with guest editors and recruiters from various news organizations.
The J-School’s annual Career Fair, held in October, is where news organizations, recruiters and editors meet candidates for full-time jobs, internship, fellowships and freelance positions.
The Office of Career Services uses Symplicity, the career services management system, where students and alumni can search for internships and jobs. To access the system, go here: https://cunygsj-csm.symplicity.com/students. Use your CUNY J-school email address and click “forgot password” to generate password instructions.
The Career Services web page also includes links to tips about job hunting and other helpful guidance.
We also give you plenty of personal attention. Here’s a brief summary of what we offer:
- Individual interviews with each new student as classes begin in the fall
- Networking events and panels with working journalists (including hiring editors) about career planning, job searching and freelancing
- Recruiting visits by media outlets
- An annual job fair, where graduating students, new entrants and alumni can meet with prospective employers or internship partners
- Counseling and workshops on preparing cover letters, interviewing, creating demo reels of on-air work and negotiating salaries and other terms of employment
- Web resources: The Career Services pages of the J-school website has internship and job listings, information on freelance opportunities, links to professional and job-posting sites and more
The Director of Career Services also runs the Summer Internship Program. See some of the media organizations that have offered summer internships to our students.