Live Octopus Consumption, The Real World Brooklyn and the Award Winning NYCity News Service
Some more great news this week: The NYCity News Service took Best News Site honors at the first annual eduStyle Awards ceremony. The recognition is particularly gratifying because we didn’t enter this contest – they found us. We also beat out some quality competition: Virginia Tech and Boston University were the other finalists.
The award is another tribute to your fine work. Here are some of the latest examples:
- Claudia Cruz traveled to the Dominican town of Sánchez where she found that the government has yet to provide promised new housing for many folks who lost their homes to devastating landslides.
- Matt Townsend reports on a ban on voter registration drives at VA facilities for Pro Publica.
- WARNING: This video contains footage of people eating live octopus. If you’re brave enough, check out this unforgettable food piece Fritzie Andrade helped produce for nytimes.com.
- Allison Esposito has been working with young journalists from Children’s Press Line. She helped shape this story about a Little League for children with autism. The article made the Daily News.
- Some Queens homeowners may lose part of their backyards to a city-owned nature trail, Barry Paddock reports for the Daily News.
- Danny Teigman, reporting for Newsday, talked to Long Island golfers about Greg Norman’s flirtation with history.
- The Real World is coming to Red Hook, Jessica Firger reports for The Brooklyn Paper.
- Speaking of reality TV, Craig Thompson talked to some participants in the controversial new show The Baby Borrowers for this babble.com piece.
- Elephants let their feet do the talking, Shuka Kalantari reports for Quest, a mutli-media science site put together by Northern California Public TV and Radio station KQED. Shuka also has been working for KPFA radio. She did a segment for Voices of the Middle East and North African about a photo exhibit called, “Not Given: Talking of and Around Photographs of Arab Women.”
- Clark Merrefield reports on a deal to preserve a 582-acre ranch in this Point Reyes Light article.
- Think New York rents are bad? Check out Carl Winfield’s businessweek.com slide show about the world’s most expensive cities.
- Damian Ghigliotty shows the value of follow up in this Crain’s New York Business article about the debut of a new law requiring owners of large stores to provide a recycling bin for plastic bags.
- Linnea Covington wrote about a band that’s bringing the Balkans to Brooklyn. Check out her profile of Slavic Soul Party in New York Press.
- Dan Macht assembled a slide show for the telegraph.co.uk showing a recreation of the Battle of Waterloo. He also did some rewrite on a story about a battle of another sort: Madonna‘s alleged marital woes.
- In our alumni corner, Sebastian Bednarski produce a video for the nypost.com about well-traveled soccer superstar David Beckham.
Tags: Allison Esposito, Barry Paddock, Carl Winfield, Clark Merrefield, Claudia Cruz, Craig Thompson, Damian Ghigliotty, Dan Macht, Danny Teigman, Fritzie Andrade, Jessica Firger, Linnea Covington, Matt Townsend, Sebastian Bednarski, Shuka Kalantari