Secret Code in Sudan, Pizza Ovens and a Battle Against Paco
The stories are coming on strong in the homestretch of summer. Here are some of the latest:
- H’Rina DeTroy wrote about how women in the Sudan are using a secret code to subvert the insidious practice of female genital mutilation. You’ll find her piece on The Huffington Post.
- Jenni Avins’ brief about a new mural at Houston and Bowery made New York Magazine.
- Joe Walker, writing for City Hall news, profiled a darkhorse City Council candidate who notched Local 1199’s endorsement.
- Kate Zhao wrote a piece for the Dow Jones Newswire about a plan to help make the Empire State Building a little greener.
- Check out some of the photos taken for The Local by middle schoolers trained by Kristen Joy Watts. Some of the pictures also made yesterday’s Metropolitan section of The New York Times. Meanwhile, Mike Reicher produced this video, reported by two of the high school students he helped train last month.
- Sandra Roa worked on this NYTimes.com video about an Argentinean man’s battle against a drug called paco.
- Our latest example of J-School teamwork: Rachel Senatore, Alana Rigal and Brigid Bergin (’07) combined on this WNYC post about pizza ovens.
- Valerie Lapinski reported, produced and edited this Time.com video about a Brooklyn hair salon that’s donating proceeds from Farrah Fawcett-inspired hairdos to help domestic violence survivors.
- Damiano Beltrami shared a byline on this Jordan Times story about Jordan’s efforts to improve science training.
- Ben Fractenberg put together this audio slideshow package for Haaretz about the Ofra settlement on the West Bank.
- Mark Morales wrote a piece for NBC Local Integrated Media about a way to Twitter prayers for placement in the Western Wall. Emily Feldman, meanwhile, wrote about some tough requirements for astronauts in the Chinese space program.
- Kate Nocera shared a byline on this sad story about a 5-year-old boy who died a day after the Jet Ski accident that also killed his father. You’ll find her article in the Daily News.
- Jessica Simeone shared the byline on this New York Post story about a math problem to chew over.
Congrats to all – and keep ‘em coming!
Tags: Alana Rigal, Ben Fractenberg, Brigid Bergin, Damian Beltrami, Emily Feldman, H'Rina DeTroy, Jenni Avins, Jessica Simeone, Joe Walker, Kate Nocera, Kate Zhao, Kristen Joy Watts, Mark Morales, Mike Reicher, Rachel Senatore, Sandra Roa, Valerie Lapinski