FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Performs teaching, research and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise. Shares responsibility for committee and department assignments including administrative, supervisory, and other functions.
The CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, founded in 2006, has quickly become nationally recognized for its innovative program. The only publicly supported graduate journalism school in the northeastern U.S., it prepares students from diverse economic, racial, and cultural backgrounds to produce high-quality journalism. As the profession rapidly reinvents itself for the digital age, the CUNY J-School is at the forefront of equipping the next generation of journalists with the tools to find stories and tell them effectively – using print, broadcast, visual, interactive, and social media. The school offers three master’s degree programs: a Master of Arts in Journalism, the nation’s first M.A. in Entrepreneurial Journalism and the nation’s first M.A. in Social Journalism.
The CUNY Graduate School of Journalism seeks candidates for a tenure-track Associate Professor position, to begin in August 2018, focused on new forms of video storytelling, including video for web, social and VR platforms. The successful candidate should be someone who shares our passion for experimenting with new forms of journalistic storytelling. The position will report to the Associate Dean.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Designs and modifies courses that push students into new ways of telling journalistic video stories;
- Develops and maintains an active portfolio of innovative journalism projects;
- Provides strong mentoring to students;
- Actively participates in public and professional service in the Journalism community;
- Engages in a practical, hands-on program of teaching;
- Organizes public events around visual media at the School, including film screenings and panels;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in journalism or a field relevant to the professional work, and contributions to the field. Also required are the ability to teach successfully, demonstrated scholarship or achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Proven record of producing photojournalism, video and multimedia stories.
- Strong belief in informing, engaging and fostering diverse communities with visual media.
- Ability to explore new forms of video storytelling.
- Expert knowledge of industry standard video editing software.
- Excellent grasp of video field production.
- Ability to use and teach industry standard cameras.
- Track record of strong teaching experience.
- Clear agenda for continued journalistic work.
- Demonstrated leadership through social media and conferences/panels.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on “Apply Now” on this job listing which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, supporting documents and the contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization). Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
January 12, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Job Title: Associate Professor – Video Storytelling
Job ID: 17823
Location: School of Journalism