JOB TITLE: Content Writer (Part-time/contract)
Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Initiatives, the content writer will identify, research and write impactful content and stories that advance the following programs at the Newmark J-School:
- Executive Program in News Innovation and Leadership
- Entrepreneurial Journalism
- J+ (The Professional Development arm of the school)
The content writer will produce four (4) substantive articles per month for the Newmark J-School, which may be posted on various Medium pages and/or the school website. The content writer may also contribute to program newsletters using MailChimp.
This position is 100% remote and will start in August 2020. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Interviews with current and former students/participants
- Write-ups of events
- Interviews with innovators/speakers/professors/etc.
- Crowdsourcing content/quotes from multiple students/participants
- Editing stories from faculty or program directors
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent communication, writing, editing, proofreading, and organizational skills
- Experience writing about journalism higher education and/or journalism innovation, leadership, entrepreneurship, diversity and equity
A preferred candidate will have:
- Journalism experience
- A passion for communicating the future of journalism to a wider audience – business models, entrepreneurship, innovation, diversity and equity, engagement and more
- Openness to collaboration, partnerships, and working with others
- Master’s degree in journalism or a closely related field
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- $1,600 per month (or four articles at $400 each)
- $8,000 total for the duration of the five-month contract, which runs until the end of 2020
- There are no benefits
HOW TO APPLY
Apply via this Google Form. Final candidates may be asked to submit a test story.
Please review our current content stories prior to submitting your application:
- Planting Seeds for a New Era of Entrepreneurial Journalism
- On being a resilient journalist and pivoting during COVID-19
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE
Sunday, August 9 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We believe that when journalism and journalism education does not reflect and serve the communities they cover, it hurts our communities – especially people of color, people from working class backgrounds, LGBTQ people and women. These communities are at the heart of what we as journalists and as a journalism institution care most about. We strongly encourage applications from members of these and other marginalized communities.
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer