The Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY, founded in 2006, has become nationally recognized for its innovative programs. The only public graduate journalism school in the northeastern U.S., it prepares students from diverse economic, racial, and cultural backgrounds to produce high-quality journalism.
As the profession continues to reinvent itself for the digital age, the Newmark J-School is at the forefront of equipping the next generation of journalists with the reporting, writing, interactive, technological, and entrepreneurial skills they need to find stories and tell them effectively. The school currently offers a Master of Arts in Journalism, a unique bilingual M.A. in Journalism for students fluent in English and Spanish, and the nation’s first M.A. in Engagement Journalism.
Reporting to the Dean, the Confidential Executive Assistant will serve the Dean by providing essential, high-level administrative support in the management of the Dean’s office and the operations of the school. This staff member will deal with confidential business of the school and respond to sensitive requests and inquiries.
This is an excluded position.
The duties and responsibilities of the position will include, but are not limited to:
- Administers the daily operations and maximizes the effectiveness of the Dean’s office, including workflow, communications, operational planning, record keeping, and scheduling;
- Serves as the point of contact between the J-School and the Chancellor’s Office, CUNY Central Administration, J-School Foundation Board and other CUNY colleges;
- Maintains the Dean’s calendar, schedule and arrange meetings, and key dates;
- Coordinates activities and projects for the Dean and provides support for other members of the School as directed by the Dean;
- Maintains and updates files related to the Dean’s office;
- Assists the Dean as needed with internal communication documents and language and other written projects;
- Coordinates all travel logistics and reimbursement expenses for the Dean.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law.
Until further notice, this is a hybrid position, eligible to work remotely and work in the office. All CUNY employees must reside within a commutable distance to their campus.
Bachelor’s degree and four years’ related experience required.
A preferred candidate should have:
– A high level of discretion and ability to hold matters of confidentiality private.
– Strong work ethic, high degree of professionalism, and personal integrity.
– Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with colleagues and executive level staff effectively and proactively.
– Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.)
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
– Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
– Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
– Ability to multi-task, be flexible, deliver consistent and high quality work and meet tight deadlines.
– Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Supports a Campus or University Executive as a confidential assistant, organizing and supervising unit activities.
– Creates appointment and meeting schedules, arranges meetings, and prepares for a variety of special events; maintains an ongoing calendar of reports, deadlines, and key dates and incorporates these into a schedule
– Coordinates Executive communications, including those requiring a high degree of sensitivity; responds to public inquiries as well as requests from within the Campus/University community
– Organizes, creates, and distributes key, complex management reports with a high degree of accuracy
– Organizes, manages, and tracks written and email correspondence, maintaining logs and records of follow-up activities
– Procures required internal and external resources and services and manages their utilization
– May supervise office staff, performing basic Human Resources functions such as recruiting and interviewing
– Participates in special projects and efforts to improve unit effectiveness
– Performs related duties as assigned.
This position is excluded from union representation.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$81, 301 – $88,602 Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Please click on “Apply Now” which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, organization, phone number, and email). Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format.
October 14, 2022