Job ID: 25276
Location: School of Journalism
Performs teaching, research and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise. Shares responsibility for committee and department assignments including administrative, supervisory, and other functions.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY, founded in 2006, has become nationally recognized for its innovative programs. The only public graduate journalism school in the northeastern U.S., it prepares students from diverse economic, racial, and cultural backgrounds to produce high-quality journalism.
As the profession continues to reinvent itself for the digital age, the Newmark J-School is at the forefront of equipping the next generation of journalists with the reporting, writing, interactive, technological, and entrepreneurial skills they need to find stories and tell them effectively. The school currently offers a Master of Arts in Journalism, a unique bilingual M.A. in Journalism for students fluent in English and Spanish, and the nation’s first M.A. in Engagement Journalism.
The Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY seeks a tenure-track associate professor specializing in data journalism. The ideal candidate is a practitioner at the highest professional levels who has demonstrated skills in data acquisition, analysis, exploratory visualization, and the editorial judgment to surface important and poorly covered stories.
Candidates must be seasoned at writing Python and Pandas code for data acquisition, quantitative analysis and visual exploration. Most importantly, candidates should be enthusiastic about imparting these specialized skills to students – most of whom have no prior experience with this field.
The ideal candidate also has strong ties to a diverse and inclusive professional community, both locally, nationally, and internationally. The position is expected to begin in Fall 2023.
Reporting to the Associate Dean and working closely with the director of the Data Journalism program, the Associate Professor of Data Journalism will have duties that include but are not limited to:
- Teaches data journalism courses that range from introductory to highly specialized;
- Develops and maintains an active portfolio of innovative news projects that explore racial inequalities, social justice and/or the current American immigrant experience;
- Designs new courses and/or update existing offerings to train students in the most contemporary data skills;
- Provides strong mentoring and advising to students;
- Develops and maintains an active portfolio of innovative data journalism projects.
- Actively participates in industry conferences and Journalism school event;
- Contributes to various academic committees;
- Continues to develop and update your skills to remain current and competitive as the news industry rapidly changes.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law.
All CUNY employees must reside within a commutable distance to their campus (or office).
Master’s degree in area(s) of experience or equivalent. Also required are the ability to teach successfully, demonstrated scholarship or achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.
A preferred candidate should have:
-Experience teaching data journalism at a college or graduate level.
- A track record of data journalism at the local and national levels.
- Strong belief in informing, engaging and fostering diverse communities with data journalism.
- Ability to explore new forms of data journalism.
- Possess skills that are current and competitive as the news industry rapidly changes.
- Evidence of strong teaching experience.
- Evidence of a clear agenda for continued journalistic work.
- Evidence of industry leadership through social media and conferences/panels.
$120,000-$140,000. Salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and professional experience.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
“Apply Now” will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply.
Please submit a CV, statement of scholarly interests, and contact information for 3 professional references (title, company, phone number, and email). All documents should be submitted in PDF or Word format.
Open until filled, with a review of applicants to begin on November 7, 2022.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.