Got a great idea for a high-impact story that “follows the money” but need funds to get it done? Check out the McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism, an initiative of the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY.
Applications are now open for the Spring 2023 McGraw Fellowships. Awarded twice a year, the Fellowships provide experienced journalists with a grant up to $15,000 and the editorial support needed to produce deeply-reported enterprise or investigative stories on critical economic, financial, or business issues. Both freelance and staff journalists in all forms of media with at least five years’ professional experience are eligible. Journalists from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
The deadline to apply for Spring 2023 is March 31.
Previous McGraw Fellows have explored a wide variety of topics — and you don’t need to be a business reporter to apply. Many have been generalists, or follow the environment, health care, education, and other beats. Others focus on economic justice or corporate accountability. Here are some examples of their work:
- How Long Until Alaska’s Next Oil Disaster? TheAtlantic.com
- Who Killed Overtime Pay? Capital & Main
- Toxic Churn: How the Legacy of Former Industrial Sites Pollutes American Cities Today Grist.org
- Child labor in the palm oil industry linked to Girl Scout cookies Associated Press
- Promised Debt Relief, Some Black Farmers Get Collection Notices Center for Public Integrity
- Hurricane fallout creates financial ruin for Puerto Rico seniors with reverse mortgages USA Today and Centro de Periodismo Investigativo
- Several years into BP settlement spending, the bulk of Mississippi’s restoration work remains undone Mississippi Today
- The Promise and Perils of the New Fertility Entrepreneurs NewYorker.com
- Company insiders are selling stock during buybacks & making additional profits when prices jump. And it’s legal. Washington Post
- Two Nations, One Aquifer: A Series About Water at the Border Albuquerque Journal
- New Workers of the World: Capturing the voices of workers facing unprecedented change Bloomberg Businessweek
If you’d like to join them, you’ll find more information, an FAQ, and the application at www.mcgrawcenter.org. If you have further questions, you can contact us at email@example.com. Spring 2023 Fellowship applications are due Mar. 31, 2023. Fall 2023 applications will be due Sept. 30, 2023.
The McGraw Center for Business Journalism was established at the Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY in 2014 by the family of the late Harold W. McGraw, Jr., former chairman and CEO of McGraw-Hill and long-time publisher of BusinessWeek magazine. The Center is dedicated to enhancing the depth and quality of business and economic news coverage through training, student scholarships and support for veteran journalists.
McGraw Center for Business Journalism