The Newmark Graduate School of Journalism has a strong culture of community governance.
Since Fall 2007, at the start of our second year of operation, a Governance Council composed of full-time faculty, adjuncts, consortial faculty (those with appointments at other CUNY colleges), senior administrators, students, and staff members has met once a semester to consider and vote on curriculum, standards, and policy.
An Executive Committee considers matters requiring a decision between Governance Council meetings — for example, a major course revision that must be communicated to students before registration.
Six standing committees report to the Governance Council. Members are elected for two-year terms.
- The Campus Life and Facilities Committee serves as a liaison between the Graduate Student Council and the administration and faculty. It also advises on financial aid and other services, facilities maintenance, security policies, and school activities and events, including graduation.
- The Curriculum and Degree Requirements Committee makes recommendations on courses and programs, as well as standards for student retention and granting degrees.
- The Diversity Committee advises on strategies to achieve diversity in ethnic and racial origin, gender, age, income, physical abilities, and sexual orientation. It also recommends ways to maintain diversity in course content.
- The Outcomes Assessment Committee designs appropriate assessment tools to gauge how successfully the school is meeting its stated learning outcomes and determine whether curricular adjustments are necessary to close any gaps.
- The Strategic Planning Committee recommends long-term strategies and goals for the school.
- The Technology and Library Committee advises on multimedia plans and Research Center services and allocates expenditure of student technology fees. Fall 2020 meetings, starting at 11:30 a.m.: Tues., Sept. 29; Mon., Oct. 26; Tues., Nov. 17; Mon., Dec. 14
Governance Council Committees, Fall 2020
Governance Council bylaws
Governance Council meeting agendas and minutes