PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
THE APPLICATION FORM CANNOT BE SAVED TO COMPLETE LATER.
Download check list highlighting materials you’ll need before sitting down to fill out this form.
(Have questions? Email email@example.com)
The Knight CUNYJ Summer Internship Program takes place in June and July of 2016. You must be able to participate for the entire eight weeks of the program.
A. Eligibility — during the summer of 2016 you must:
- Be a rising senior (a student of a four-year institution of higher education entering your senior year in fall 2016); or have received your bachelor’s degree in May 2014 or after;
- Attend (a) a historically black college or university; (b) a Hispanic-serving institution; OR (c) be a member of a journalist of color association, such as the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ), National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ), Native American Journalists Association (NAJA), South Asian Journalists Association (SAJA), Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) or the Arab and Middle Eastern Journalists Association (AMEJA).
B. Required Paperwork — you must provide ALL of the following:
- This application form, completely filled in;
- An official copy of your undergraduate transcript sent via U.S. Postal Service (see below for mailing address);
- A copy of your most recent resume, uploaded with your application;
- A 500-word essay telling us about you and why you want to be a journalist, to be uploaded with the application;
- The names and contact information of two references whom we will contact to request a written recommendation: (a) one must be a faculty member under whom you have studied OR a journalism professional who has worked with you and; (b) the second reference must be able to attest to your character;
- Three writing samples, published or unpublished.
- EXTRA: You can also send additional works by providing links to your audio or video files or photographs. This will require that you first host your work on a private server or upload them onto sites like Vimeo, YouTube or Flickr.
C. Grammar Test, Interview and Notification
After we have received your completed application, we will contact you to schedule a time for you to take a grammar quiz by mid-February. Finalists will be notified by March. Finalists will be scheduled for interviews, which will take place in person, by telephone or Skype during February. Notification of acceptance will go out by April.
Mail Your Academic Transcript and Reference Letters to:
Ms. Joanna Hernandez
Director of Diversity Initiatives
CUNY Graduate School of Journalism
219 W. 40th St. Fourth Floor
New York, NY 10018
Application deadline has been extended to 11:59 p.m. EST on Sunday, Jan. 31, 2016.