We strive for these results: journalism that puts the public at the center of its work and fully represents people of all backgrounds; platforms, newsrooms, and media-related organizations working together to combat media manipulation toward more informed and engaged communities; and inclusive, constructive, and respectful civic discourse.
In order to achieve our goals, therefore, NII will support organizations, projects, applied research and events that:
- Build enduring trust and mutual respect between newsrooms and the public through sustained listening, collaboration, and transparency;
- Demonstrate ways to improve community conversations and increase understanding and empathy among opposing viewpoints and experiences;
- Amplify marginalized voices through inclusive news coverage, and creative information sharing and storytelling projects;
- Value and cultivate diversity within news organizations as well as in the media ecosystem overall, paving new paths for diverse ownership and leadership in the field;
- Diminish the influence and mitigate the harm of manipulation and misinformation.
We place special emphasis on programs and projects that:
- Identify and fill gaps in the field;
- Pioneer creative community engagement;
- Serve and elevate disenfranchised communities;
- Extend their reach and impact through networks, and
- Publicly share what they are learning, and invite discussion with the public.
The News Integrity Initiative is a global initiative, recognizing that people everywhere deserve easy access to high quality news and information in order to live good lives. We intend to convene meetings, share information and consult with experts outside of the US. Please note that for at least the first year, NII is limiting its international grants to a handful of strategic partners who can be conduits to larger networks for events, trainings, and community discussions.