The Graduate Student Council (GSC) provides a forum for discussion of school-related issues and matters of concern to the student body.
The school’s Assistant Director of Student Services serves as an ad-hoc, non-voting member of the GSC in order to transmit student concerns directly to the Dean and respond to student questions about administrative or academic issues affecting them.
GSC representatives may communicate student viewpoints directly to the faculty and administration through the school’s governance process, as well as serve as voting members on various governance committees. The GSC also decides how to allocate student activity fees.
There will be 10 council members serving a one-year term. Students may nominate themselves or encourage classmates to run.
GSC members must be in good academic standing, with a 3.0 GPA or better.
To comply with New York State Open Meetings Law, all GSC meetings will be publicly shared and open to the entire CUNY J-School community.
- GSC Constitution
- GSC Bylaws
- GSC members
- GSC Committee representation
- GSC meeting minutes/documents
- Run for Graduate Student Council!! Elections are held at the beginning and end of the fall semester. One Social Journalism student will be elected at the start of the Spring semester.
Twice a year, the GSC reviews requests to help students with conference costs or funding for a class project or capstone.
For assistance with conference costs, fill out this form.
For class project or capstone funding, fill out this form.
Any questions? Send an email to email@example.com
Election of Delegates to Committees Not Overseen by GSC
At the beginning of each fall term, four students will be elected to one or both of the following committees. The three with the most votes will serve on both.
- Faculty-Student Disciplinary Committee. This body investigates and assesses cases in which students are alleged to have violated the rules of conduct, the CUNY J-School Code of Ethics, and Title IX regulations governing sexual harassment and violence.
- Student Elections Review Committee. This committee approves election procedures and certifies the results of student government elections and student body referenda.