Do you — or a reporter you know — have a great idea for an investigative or enterprise story on an important business or economic topic, but few resources to get it done?
If so, the McGraw Center for Business Journalism would like to hear from you.
Applications are now open for the Winter 2019 McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism, an initiative of the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism. The Fellowships, awarded twice a year, provide experienced journalists with the funds and editorial support needed to produce high-impact stories on critical issues related to the U.S. economy, business or finance.
The upcoming deadline to apply is January 4, 2019
- Each Fellow receives a grant of up to $15,000
- No residency is required; McGraw Fellows work from their own offices
- Open to both freelance and staff journalists with at least five years experience
- Applications in any type of media — print, audio, video, online — will be considered
- Applications accepted from both reporters and editors
What kind of stories do we support? Previous McGraw Fellows have explored a wide variety of topics – and you don’t need to be a business reporter to apply. Many McGraw Fellows have been generalists, or follow health care, the environment or other beats. Here are a few examples:
- Range Wars: A copper rush sparks last-ditch battles for Arizona’s soul Harper’s
- In Texas, Teachers See Savings Eroded by Bad Bets on Exotic Stocks TheStreet
- What Would Jesus Disrupt? Bloomberg Businessweek
- Towns sell their public water systems — and come to regret it Washington Post
- How Parents Buckle Under the Weight of College Debt U.S. News & World Report
- The Race to Zero Emissions Quartz
- Two Nations, One Aquifer: A series about water at the border Albuquerque Journal
- Who’s behind the Chinese takeover of the world’s biggest pork producer? PBS NewsHour
You’ll find more information, an FAQ, and the application at www.mcgrawcenter.org. If you have questions or have a project you’d like to discuss, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Center for Business Journalism was established at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism in January 2014 with the goal of enhancing the quality and depth of business and economic news coverage. In addition to providing funding and editorial support for veteran journalists, the Center offers training and scholarships for young reporters entering the field.
McGraw Center for Business Journalism