As an alum you are welcome to enjoy a wide variety of benefits including:
Access to the Building
Alumni will continue to have access to the Newmark J-School campus and use the computers in the Research Center. To gain entry, show a photo ID and sign in with a public safety officer in the lobby on the 3rd floor. There are no alumni ID cards.
Alumni are invited to many on-campus events throughout the academic year.
If you are looking to update your skills or look into available opportunities, resources are available to you:
- Symplicity: log on here for a list of available jobs, maintained by our office of Career Services, as well as resume and cover letter writing guides. If you have trouble logging in, contact the Alumni Office.
- Alumni can schedule individual appointments with the Career Services Office. They will receive job listings through the alumni listserv and may attend the annual job fair in the fall.
- Lifelong Learning Programs
Listservs and CUNY Email
You may continue to communicate with your former classmates through your individual class listserv. It’s a great way to connect with friends, share information, plan reunions, swap job leads, and debate ethics in journalism. Every graduating class is also linked through an all-alumni listserv.
There is also a newly-created International Listserv. It can be useful when you need a fixer in another country or just to touch base with an alum who might be posted internationally. Contact the Alumni Office if you’d like to join.
You have lifetime access to your @journalism.cuny.edu account. If you need to reset your password, please contact the Help Desk: email@example.com.
Research and Database Access
Alumni have free access to the print materials from our Research Center collection, as well as these databases.
To gain these alumni privileges and obtain an alumni barcode, you must be in good standing with the Research Center and other CUNY libraries, meaning all CUNY library fines must be paid, and your account must be cleared. If you are unsure of your status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The barcode provides borrowing privileges from only the Newmark J-School Research Center. It does not let you borrow from other CUNY libraries. You are also welcome to use the J-School’s electronic databases while on campus, but there is no remote access.
Please keep in mind you will no longer have:
- Equipment checkout privileges
- Technical support
- VPN access to the network
- Access to the network shares
- Computer access to the desktop systems in the School
- Access to the computer and editing labs