As an alum you are welcome to enjoy a wide variety of benefits including:
Access to the Building
Alumni will continue to have access to the Newmark J-School campus and use the computers in the Research Center. In order to minimize the potential spread of COVID-19, anyone who is not a current student or a faculty or staff member can visit campus by appointment only at this time. Visitors, including alumni, are required to submit one of the following in advance to receive clearance to enter the J-School:
- Proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test based on a sample taken within the seven days prior to your visit
To get cleared to visit the J-School, email Amy Dunkin, director of academic operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- your reason for visiting the campus
- the date you would like to visit
- the estimated time frame you will arrive and leave the campus
Please wait to receive a response from Amy Dunkin approving your visit to campus, and providing instructions for how to register with CUNY’s Cleared4 COVID safety system.
Alumni are invited to many events, both on campus and via Zoom, throughout the academic year.
If you are looking to update your skills or look into available opportunities, resources are available to you:
- Handshake: log on here, using either your .edu or personal email, for a list of available jobs, maintained by our office of Career Services, as well as resume and cover letter writing guides.
- Alumni can schedule individual appointments with the Career Services Office up to one year post-graduation. After that, alumni may schedule appointments with the Alumni Affairs office. They will receive weekly job listings through the alumni listserv and may attend the annual career fair in the fall.
- Lifelong Learning Programs
Listservs and CUNY Email
You may continue to communicate with your former classmates through your individual class listserv. It’s a great way to connect with friends, share information, plan reunions, swap job leads, and debate ethics in journalism. Every graduating class is also linked through an all-alumni listserv.
There is also a newly-created International Listserv. It can be useful when you need a fixer in another country or just to touch base with an alum who might be posted internationally. Contact the Alumni Office if you’d like to join.
You have lifetime access to your @journalism.cuny.edu account. If you need to reset your password, please contact the Help Desk: email@example.com.
Ordering Transcripts and Diplomas
Transcripts consist of a student’s graduate academic history at Newmark J-School. Unofficial transcripts are available at no cost through CUNYfirst Student Self-Service. Students who need an official transcript for themselves – or for submission to an employer or other educational institution – may order official transcripts.
Request a diploma
To request a diploma, email Lindsey Allen at lindsey.allen@journalism.
Research and Database Access
Alumni have free access to the print materials from our Research Center collection, as well as these databases.
To gain these alumni privileges and obtain an alumni barcode, you must be in good standing with the Research Center and other CUNY libraries, meaning all CUNY library fines must be paid, and your account must be cleared. If you are unsure of your status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The barcode provides borrowing privileges from only the Newmark J-School Research Center. It does not let you borrow from other CUNY libraries. You are also welcome to use the J-School’s electronic databases while on campus, but there is no remote access.
Please keep in mind you will no longer have:
- Equipment checkout privileges
- Technical support
- VPN access to the network
- Access to the network shares
- Computer access to the desktop systems in the School
- Access to the computer and editing labs