As an alum you are welcome to enjoy a wide variety of benefits including:
Access to the Building
Alumni will continue to have access to the Newmark J-School campus and to the computers in the Research Center.
Campus visitors, including alumni, no longer need to show proof of Covid vaccination or a negative test. All you’ll need to do is identify yourself as alumni and show ID, so the public safety desk can confirm that you’re a Newmark J-School graduate in good standing.
Please email public.safety@
Alumni are invited to attend many events, both on campus and via Zoom, throughout the academic year.
If you are looking to update your skills or find out about available opportunities, numerous resources are available to you:
- Handshake: Log on here, using either your .edu or personal email, for a list of available jobs. Handshake is maintained by our office of Career Services; if you have trouble logging in, please contact email@example.com and they can assist you in accessing Handshake. On the site you will also find guides to writing effective resumes and cover letters, and additional job-search tips.
- Alumni can schedule individual appointments with Career Services up to one year post-graduation: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. After the first year, or anytime post-Commencement, alumni may schedule appointments with the Alumni Affairs office: Contact AlumniOffice@journalism.cuny.edu.
- The Alumni Affairs office sends out weekly job listings, as well as information about fellowships, job-related resources, and other career opportunities for our graduates.
- Alumni are invited to attend Career Services’ annual career fair in the fall.
- A range of lifelong learning programs are available to Newmark alumni:
- January Academy: Alumni may enroll in January Academy courses at a low cost, and receive priority access before the classes are opened up to the general public.
- J+: Alumni may enroll in the J-School’s professional development, executive and entrepreneurial programs.
- Alumni may audit or enroll in individual J-School classes on a non-matriculated basis, for a per-credit fee. Contact Alumni Affairs for more info: AlumniOffice@journalism.cuny.edu.
Newsletters, Listservs and CUNY Email
The Alumni Affairs office sends out a monthly newsletter to share updates about what our graduates are doing (email us your news at AlumniOffice@journalism.cuny.edu or use this form). We also send an annual survey to all alumni to get info about current jobs and whereabouts, to keep our database updated.
Every week, alumni receive a jobs newsletter with a list of current openings and other career opportunities we’ve heard about from faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the J-School.
As an alum, you can communicate with former classmates through your individual class listserv, the all-alumni listserv, and the Facebook alumni groups. These are all great ways to connect with friends, share information, plan reunions, swap job leads, and debate ethics in journalism.
For alumni based overseas, Newmark has an international listserv. This can be useful when you need a fixer in another country or just want to touch base with other alumni who might be posted internationally. Contact Alumni Affairs if you’d like to join: AlumniOffice@journalism.cuny.edu.
If you’d like to help launch a regional chapter of Newmark alumni in the area where you’re based, we’d be happy to help set it up. Please contact us at AlumniOffice@journalism.cuny.edu.
You have lifetime access to your @journalism.cuny.edu account. If you need to reset your password, please contact the Help Desk: email@example.com.
Ordering Transcripts and Diplomas
Transcripts consist of a student’s graduate academic history at Newmark J-School. Unofficial transcripts are available at no cost through CUNYfirst Student Self-Service. Students who need an official transcript for themselves – or for submission to an employer or other educational institution – may order official transcripts.
Request a diploma
To request a diploma, email Lindsey Allen at lindsey.allen@journalism.
Research and Database Access
Alumni have free access to the print materials from our Research Center collection, as well as to these databases.
To gain these alumni privileges and obtain an alumni barcode, you must be in good standing with the Research Center and other CUNY libraries, meaning all CUNY library fines must be paid, and your account must be cleared. If you are unsure of your status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The barcode provides borrowing privileges from only the Newmark J-School Research Center. It does not let you borrow from other CUNY libraries. You are also welcome to use the J-School’s electronic databases while on campus, but there is no remote access.
Please note the following are only available to current students, faculty and staff: Equipment checkout privileges; technical support; VPN access to the network; access to the network shares; computer access to the desktop systems in the J-School; access to the computer and editing labs.
Have questions about other resources? Want to chat? Reach out to Alumni Affairs!
If you have questions about resources not included on the list above, or have suggestions for how you’d like to stay engaged with the J-School—or want to set up a chat to brainstorm ideas or discuss career plans—please contact us anytime: AlumniOffice@journalism.cuny.edu