The NYCity News Service at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism has earned three awards in the Associated Collegiate Press’ national Spring Clips & Clicks competition.
Among the winners, announced Aug. 25th:
• Youcef Bounab’s shot from a Nakba Day rally in Brooklyn notched first place in the News Photo category.
• Mary Steffenhagen took third-place honors in the Broadcast Feature category for the Home Ed Investigative Podcast, which is part of When Home is School, a package of stories examining the booming homeschooling movement.
• Seeking Mercy, which tells the stories of incarcerated New Yorkers petitioning for clemency, earned third-place kudos in the Feature Story category. The video-and-text package, produced by Anna Deen, Sahalie Donaldson, Jessica Lerner, Yessenia Moreno, Emily Nadal, Wyatt Stayner, and Jeff Winter, was cross-published by THE CITY, a New York-based nonprofit news site.
The winners will be honored at MediaFest ’22, a gathering of the Society of Professional Journalists, the Associated Collegiate Press, and the College Media Association set to be held Oct. 27-30 in Washington.
The J-School also recently scored two national finalists in the Society of Professional Journalists’ Mark of Excellence awards:
• Yessenia Moreno was cited in the Radio In-Depth Reporting category for Healthcare Proxies in the Time of COVID, an AudioFiles piece detailing one woman’s fight for the right to exercise her best friend’s healthcare proxy, an issue that is fraught with difficulty for the queer community
• Olivia Bensimon placed in the Radio Features category for A Kayak Paddle to Save the Ecosystem, an AudioFiles segment that chronicles the Guardians of Flushing Bay’s preservation efforts in a rapidly developing area of Queens.
The NYCity News Service, launched in 2007, provides student stories about New York City neighborhoods to professional outlets and produces multimedia special reports.
The student-powered News Service, the school’s 219West TV news magazine, and its AudioFiles podcast and radio programs have collected scores of honors in journalism competitions run by Editor & Publisher, the Society of Professional Journalists, the Online News Association, the Associated Collegiate Press, the College Media Association and other noted media groups.