Faculty invite guest speakers (both journalists and non-journalists) to campus for a number of reasons: to share about their career trajectory; to deconstruct a specific project; to lecture on a specific topic; to serve on a panel as a participant or moderator.
The Newmark J-School recognizes that guests should be shown appreciation for their time when they speak in a class or at an event. An honorarium is provided as a token of appreciation for participation in an activity or event. Thus, it differs from a speaker’s or performance fee. As a public university, the J-School has a limited budget for honoraria. We especially want to compensate speakers that foster the DEI goals of the school. That said, potential guest speakers should not be offered honoraria until approved by the school.
- Generally, the school offers $100 per hour for an honorarium
- Additional money can be added if significant preparation is required.
- Amounts can be adjusted depending on the nature of the event/size of the expected audience.
- Honoraria coming from grants can be set at other amounts and do not need to complete the form below.
Criteria for approval:
- Does the guest speaker provide a perspective on journalism or a content topic that is difficult to find at the school?
- Does speaking at the school affect the speaker’s ability to earn income?
- Is the speaker a current CUNY employee? Current CUNY employees may not be offered an honorarium.
- Have you had other guest speakers this semester who have received an honoraria? There are certainly reasons to have multiple guest speakers in a semester, but given the limited budget, we also want to make sure other faculty members can recognize their guests.
- Faculty members should request an honoraria from their area head.
- If approved by the area head, the faculty member should complete this form at least 20-30 days in advance. The form will be reviewed by the associate dean.
- If approved by the associate dean, the Finance office will take it from there. If you have questions about the payment process, please reach out to the Finance Office (email@example.com).