- Admissions Entrance Exam
Thank you for your interest in the Newmark J-School! To be considered for Fall 2023 admission, all applicants are required to complete the admissions exam remotely using our online proctor, ProctorU. The exam is designed to give us an idea of your analytical and editing skills, and your ability to write clearly and concisely in a timed environment. You will be allotted 90 minutes to complete the exam. It is strongly encouraged to schedule your exam in advance, as the appointment times fill up quickly. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
You may refer to last year’s exam to learn more about the test format.
Scheduling Instructions and System Requirements
ProctorU is a live online proctoring service that allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. You are required to schedule your proctoring session at least 72 hours in advance to avoid a scheduling fee.
In general, you will need the following to use ProctorU:
- a desktop or laptop computer (Chromebooks and cellphones do not work with the ProctorU system)
- a private, quiet location with no other people present (you cannot take the exam in a cafe, Starbucks, or other public location)
- high-speed internet connection with access to Chrome or Firefox (Safari and Internet Explorer do not work)
- an internal or external webcam
- a Windows or Apple Operating System
- government issued photo ID
Complete the checklist below before your testing day to ensure a smooth test-taking experience:
- Create a ProctorU account
- Visit the Test Taker Resource Center to watch a quick video on how it works, what to expect on the day of the exam and the technical requirements
- Install the Chrome/Firefox extension
- Learn how to schedule your ProctorU Exam Session
- Test your equipment through the account homepage
What happens on exam day
It may take up to 15 minutes to verify your identity, secure the exam environment, and enter the exam. This does not impact the time in the exam.
Click the link below to register for the exam. When registering, please ensure the institution name is “Newmark- Journalism – CUNY“. Do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.